14 December 2014

Auckland: Skydiving - the best day of my life



I went to New Zealand with few dreams - to see the Middle-earth, to live on a sheep farm and to try an adrenalin sport. The two first dreams, or goals, were easy to fulfil - almost every corner of NZ is  a  Middle-erath and we were volunteering on a sheep farm during our first weeks. But the big adrenalin adventure took place during our last days in NZ, maybe because I was really scared to do something really crazy. My first idea was sky jump, or at least sky walk, in Auckland. Yes, it is the jump from the famous Auckland Sky Tower, you remember Beyoncé doing it. But I said no to this kind of adventure after I found out that it is actually a controlled fall. To make it clear, you are controlled by two giant ropes during the fall. Bungee jump was my number two. There is the famous, world's first, bungee close to Queenstown, close to Anduina river, by the way. But this few seconds lasting fun is super expensive. Besides, it is only 43 meters high bridge. So, skydiving it is! I must have been super bored (oh, yes, that was the time when we spent three weeks closed in our car because of the crazy rains) or what when I called to Auckland Skydive and booked my 13,000 feet tandem jump.
That day I called them again, as I was told, to make sure if the weather is ok for a tandem jump. Omg, I was praying for a storm! The feeling in my belly was worse than the one you get before going to a dentist. But we went anyway. I didn't want to look weak in front of M., so I just pretend I am fine. Actually, he was the weak one, he strictly said NO to tandem jumping and I simply couldn't make him.
To make me even more nervous, they told me to wait for a while, it was a very busy day at the skydive centre, one plane every thirty minutes. I made it to the very last plane of the day. It was only me and one girls from Singapore for tandem. Her boyfriend, just as M., was too scared to jump out of a plane. The rest of the plane? Skydiving students giving us encouraging smiles. I was smiling too, but maybe it was the smile of desperateness.





____________________________________________________________________________

Jela jsem na Nová Zéland splnit si pár přání - vidět Středozem, zkusit život na ovčí farmě a zkusit něco adrenalinového. První dvě položky jsem si splnila hned ze začátku našeho půlročního pobytu. Adrenalinový kousek jsem, možná ze strachu, nechávala na závěr. Původně jsem chtěla zkusit sky jump nebo alespoň sky walk, v Aucklandu. Jojo, je to skok z Aucklandské Sky Tower, který jste viděli skočit Beyoncé. Odradil mě ale fakt, že je to kontrolovaný skok. Abych vám to osvětlila, člověk sice padá, ale po obou stranách je jištěn lany. Bungee byl plán číslo dvě. Kousek od Queenstownu, mimochodem na Anduinou z Pána Prstenů, je ten nejproslavenější, ten první bungee na světě. Ovšem ona ta sranda trvá jen pár vteřin a nestojí málo. Krom toho, je to pouze 43 metrů. Tak došlo na tandemový seskok. Ani nevím, co se mi honilo hlavou, asi jsem se hodně nudila (tou dobou jsme trávili tři týdny zavření v autě, protože nás po celé zemi honilo hodně špatné počasí), každopádně jsem zavolala na Skydive Auckland a bookla jsem si seskok. 13 000 stop, tedy zhruba 4,5km nad zemí. 
V osudový den ráno jsem měla pro jistotu zavolat, abych zjistila, zda je ideální počasí. Poprvdě? Nikdy jsem si tolik nepřála pořádný slejvák, ba dokonce tajfun! Byla jsem rozklepaná jako před návštěvou zubaře. Ale vyrazili jsme. Před M. jsem nemohla dělat padavku. Padavka byl tenkrát on, protože skákat s padákem nechtěl. Nedal se přemluvit a nedal. 
Aby mi na nervozitě přidali, nechali nás na letišti ještě nějakou dobu čekat. Měli ten den nával a létalo jedno letadlo za druhým. Já se dostala až do toho posledního. Na tandem jsem tam byla já a ještě jedna slečna ze Singapuru. Její přítel, stejně jako M., raději čekal na zemi. Zbytek letadla byli skydive studenti, kteří už měli pár skoků za sebou. Při nástupu do letadla jsem se ještě smála, ale možná už to byl smích zoufalství. 




It took us about 20 minutes to make it to 13, 000 feet. Thanks God, they let me sit next to the pilot and I spent the 20 minutes chatting with him about all the buttons and indicators I saw around me. I became really really nervous when were super high but the high indicator said only 2000 feet.


____________________________________________________________________________

Cesta do 13 000 stop trvala asi 20 minut. Díky bohu, nechali mě sedět vedle pilota, takže jsem těch 20 minut proklábosila a nechala si vysvětlit funkce všech těch tlačítek a indikátorů. Trnula jsem strchay, když už jsme podle mého byli šíleně vysoko, ale palubovka ukazovala teprve 2000 stop. 






Few minutes later, someone knocked on my shoulder and said it is time to go - to jump! I saw opened door and the students jumped out in few seconds, just like that! With fear in her eyes, it was the Singapore girls jumping and it was only my and my buddy in the plane now. And it wasn't the same as all the tandem videos I saw on Youtube, no. Nobody asked me if I want to jump or not. We were sitting at the edge of the plane - well, technically he was sitting, I was hanging out of the plane - and I just heard "Keep smiling!".Then we jumped!


____________________________________________________________________________

Pak už mi jen někdo zaťukal na rameno že je čas! Otevřeli se dveře a studenti vyskočili jako by nic. S hrůzou v očích pak šla na řadu Singapurka, až jsme zbyli v letadle jen já a můj tandemový parťák. Nebylo to jako ve většině videí, které jsem viděla, kde by se někdo ptal, jestli chci nebo nechci skočit. Najednou jsem se ocitla na okraji letadla. Resp. on seděl na kraji, takže já už jsem visela z letadla a to zcela úplně. Následovalo "Keep smilling" a letěli jsme. Jako by nic! 





I felt like fainting the first few second. I felt dizzy, we were spinning around, I didn't want to open my eyes. But I did, at the end, and I saw the plan, then the ground, plane again, ground again, plane, ground, plane...The we finally made it to the stable position and I couldn't stop smiling! The free fall took about 40 seconds. The best 40 seconds of my life! 


____________________________________________________________________________


První tři vtěčiny jsem myslela, že omdlím. Motala se mi hlava, přetáčeli jsme se dokola, nechtěla jsem otevřít oči. Pak jsem to udělala a viděla jsem zem, letadlo, zem, letadlo, zem, letadlo... Až jsme se dostali do stabilizované polohy a já už se nepřestala blahem smát. Volný pád trval dohromady asi 40 vteřin. Těch nejlepších 40 vteřin mého života!




We opened the parachute and we spent next few minutes just watching the sea and Auckland in the back. Incredible. Yes, I believe this must be something down south with all the mountains, the Auckland outskirts are really flat, but the sea, oh....


____________________________________________________________________________

Otevření padáku a pak hezké prolétnutí po okolí. Asi jsem si mohla vybrat lepší lokalitu, okolo Aucklandu je to pěkná placka, ale alespoň to moře...





At the end, my buddy let me "drive" the parachute. It is not as easy as it looks, to go against the wind is really hard, but I managed to do a nice fast spin!
Landing was something! We kinda missed the landing area and we landed on the pavement instead the grass. Landing on the butt was impossible so I was told to land on my feet, as a pro, no other option! I made it...

You can say whatever you want, this was the best experience of the whole gap year, no matter the price. From that day I have a plan: one more tandem jump to make sure I like this, static line jump and then the skydiving training.


____________________________________________________________________________

Ke konci jsem mohla dokonce řídit padák. Není to zase tak jednoduché, zabírat proti větru je docela námaha, ale udělala jsem slušnou vývrtku. 
Přistání bylo drsnější, protože jsme nějak minuli přistávací trávník a přistáli jsme na betonu. Takže přistání na zadek nepřipadalo v úvahu a bylo mi řečeno, že to prostě musím zvládnout na nohy! Zvládla jsem to....

Říkejte si co chcete, tohle byl nejlepší zážitek z celého mého cestovatelského roku, ať stál co stál. Od té doby mám jasný plán: ještě jeden tandem, abych si potvrdila, že je to opravdu něco pro mě, static line jump a pak už samotný parašutistický výcvik.



No comments:

Post a Comment